Re: 8.2 features status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Agent M
Subject Re: 8.2 features status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Aug 5, 2006, at 10:48 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:

> Quoth david@fetter.org (David Fetter):

>>> I think this is a good plan for adding additional process overhead,
>>> and getting essentially nothing of value in return. I'm not
>>> convinced there's a problem in need of solving here...
>>
>> Perhaps you'd like to explain how big a burden on the developer it is
>> to send an once a week, that being what I'm proposing here.
>>
>> As far as the "problem in need of solving," it's what Andrew Dunstan
>> referred to as "splendid isolation," which is another way of saying,
>> "letting the thing you've taken on gather dust while people think
>> you're working on it."
>
> It seems to me once a week is a bit too often to demand, particularly
> when trying to "herd cats."
>
> A burden of once a month may seem more reasonable.

One of the problems is that CVS branching is rather painful and some
contributors can't commit. If there were some place where one could
maintain a publicly-visible development branch just for feature X, that
would make the work open source and trackable instead of
"open-source-once-I'm-done".

-M

AgentM
agentm@themactionfaction.com