Re: Type inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Type inheritance
Date
List pgsql-sql

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Richard Broersma <richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Gianvito Pio<pio.gianvito@gmail.com> wrote:

>  That value doesn't have to be fixed, but I want to define it in a
> way that it changes its structure when the sensor type changes. For
> example, for Temperature sensor I would like to have just a float number,
> but for the humidity I could need of absolute and relative humidity
> (2 floats). I'd just like to know if I can say that the VALUE is a composite
> type...that I have then to specialize in Temp Type and Humidity type...using
> them in their particular case.

I think that best solution for what you want to achieve is to design
you own vertically partitioned table hierarchy.   PostgreSQL's table
inheritance isn't going to allow that relationships that you may want
between the sub-types.

Another PostgreSQL specific feature that allows for hierarchical data
is the contrib module h-store.  Its kind-of like EAV for a column
instead of a table.

Are we storing sensor types (name, etc, sensor-report) where the report column has to be polymorphic or are we storing instances of sensor results (sensor-id, sensor-report).  For the former a single table with an array of number in the report column might work, for the latter it seems that separate type specific tables extending/dependent to a table of sensors could do the trick.  What you're using to access the store might also affect the design.