Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick?EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick?EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 09/12/2017 06:51 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> I agree that it would have been good for them to include all of the
>> major players when it comes to PG and not just focus on one.  The
>> unfortunate reality is that in many other projects there's "the one" big
>> company behind the open source project and few realize that PG has such
>> a great and diverse multi-company ecosystem, even though many of us make
>> a point to bring it up whenever we get the chance.
>
> I agree with these points.  Of course a competitive overview by a
> competitor might be taking a different approach for one or a number of
> other reasons.  For example if price is one thing they are covering,
> things would be different if they are covering the official version of
> the software.

More to the point, they are not even true to their stated thesis:
 "world’s largest organizations are using strategic initiatives to  replace proprietary databases and expensive
licenseswith open source  databases and enterprise subscriptions"

as the referenced version of postgres is a proprietary fork, not open
source.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com