ideal server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian Modra
Subject ideal server
Date
Re: ideal server  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
Re: ideal server  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,
I have a server in production running postgresql, receiving 110 rows inserted per second, with some pretty intense queries involving long plpgsql.
This server has 4Gigs of RAM and dual processor. Disk is Raid 5.
I need more power, and am wondering what is the place really I need to put more emphasis? CPU, RAM, or disk?
I'm thinking of a 4xCPU and 20 Gigs and one of those large ram disks which has its own battery and writes all RAM to hard disk in the event of power failure.

Obviously I need to first get a good sysadmin guy to configure postgres properly, but I am sure I also need a bigger host.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Brian

--
Brian Modra   Land line: +27 23 5411 462
Mobile: +27 79 183 8059