Re: Latest advice on SSD? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Aaron
Subject Re: Latest advice on SSD?
Date
List pgsql-performance
RDBMS such as pg are beasts that turn random IO requests, traditionally slow in spinning drives, into sequential. WAL is a good example of this.

SSDs are generally slower than spinning at sequential IO and way faster at random.

Expect therefore for SSD to help if you are random IO bound. (Some cloud vendors offer SSD as a way to get dedicated local io and bandwidth - so sometimes it helps stablize performance vs. virtualized shared io.)

A REASONABLE PERSON SHOULD ASSUME THAT UNBENCHMARKED AND UNRESEARCHED MIGRATION FROM TUNED SPINNING TO SSD WILL SLOW YOU DOWN

/Aaron