Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Graeme B. Bell
Subject Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?
Date
Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?
List pgsql-performance

> RAID controllers are completely unnecessary for SSD as they currently
> exist.

Agreed. The best solution is not to buy cheap disks and not to buy RAID controllers now, imho.

In my own situation, I had a tight budget, high performance demand and a newish machine with RAID controller and HDDs
init as a starting point.
So it was more a question of 'what can you do with a free raid controller and not much money' back in 2013. And it has
workedvery well.
Still, I had hoped for a bit more from the cheaper SSDs though, I'd hoped to use fastpath on the controller and bypass
thecache.

The way NVMe prices are going though, I wouldn't do it again if I was doing it this year. I'd just go direct to nvme
andtrash the raid controller. These sammy and intel nvmes are basically enterprise hardware at consumer prices. Heck,
I'llprobably put one in my next gaming PC.

Re: software raid.

I agree, but once you accept that software raid is now pretty much superior to hardware raid, you start looking at ZFS
andthinking 'why the heck am I even using software raid?'