Re: Open source databases '60 per cent cheaper' - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Open source databases '60 per cent cheaper'
Date
Re: Open source databases '60 per cent cheaper'  (Markus Schaber <schabi@logix-tt.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Nov 22, 2006, at 11:00 AM, Shane Ambler wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>>> Mammoth Replicator is not synchronous anyway ...
>> That's a shame. I thought we might be able get a head start in
>> that way.
>
> Have you looked at PGCluster? - Synchronous multi master replication

The downside to pgCluster (and the synchronous pgpool replication as
well) is that it's statement-based. That means something like

INSERT INTO table VALUES( ..., now(), ... );

Doesn't work right at all. Continuent has statement-based replication
that handles common cases (like now() and random()), but it doesn't
handle everything (and it's limited to JDBC connections).

I'll agree with Josh Drake that the demand for synchronous
replication isn't as great as the hype (or the demand for async), but
it definitely does exist.

Regarding putting stuff in core, ISTR a group was setup on pgFoundry
to discuss what features could be added to core to help various
replication systems (such as being able to put triggers on DDL), but
I don't know if anything every came of it.
--
Jim Nasby                               jim.nasby@enterprisedb.com