Re: House style for DocBook documentation? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: House style for DocBook documentation?
Date
Re: House style for DocBook documentation?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 01/19/19 08:35, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Is there, somewhere, a written-up "house style" for what DocBook 4.2
>> elements to use for which types of content in the manual?
> I don't think we do.  I'd suggest to come up with something and then see
> if it makes sense to patch the docs to apply it regularly.

I think my ambition at the moment is just to complete a particular
addition to func.sgml and do so as consistently as I can manage with
what's there now.

I have noticed a couple of things:

- 'SQL' is often marked up as <acronym>SQL</acronym>, but far from always.

- no such markup is applied to 'JSON' or 'XML' at all, at least
  not in func.sgml.

- there is a README.links with this guideline:

  o  Do not use text with <ulink> so the URL appears in printed output

  but a grep -r in doc/src/sgml turns up 112 uses that observe the
  guideline, and 147 that supply link text.

(thinks to self half-seriously about an XSL transform for generating
printed output that could preserve link-texted links, add raised numbers,
and produce a numbered URLs section at the back)

-Chap