Moving DB data disk to a different machine - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Eliot, Christopher
Subject Moving DB data disk to a different machine
Date
Re: Moving DB data disk to a different machine  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-admin

I have a database that I use for testing.  The contents are not particularly critical; if I were to lose that data, it would be an annoyance but not a disaster.  Thus I do not back up the DB.

My server machine (actually my windows workstation) became very ill, so the IT folks gave me a new workstation, but installed the disk drive from the old workstation in the new one as a secondary drive.

After installing PostgreSQL 8.2 (what we had been using) on this new workstation, I tried simply copying the 'Program Files\Postgresql\8.2\data' directory over from the old disk to the new, but the result is that when I try to bring up the PostgreSQL server, it takes a long time, and then goes down.

I can arrange to recreate my DB from scratch but it would be a bit of a pain.

Is there any easy way to make the old DB directory image just work?

Thanks,

Topher Eliot
christopher.eliot@nagrastar.com
[]