Re: database name aliases? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From AgentM
Subject Re: database name aliases?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Nov 6, 2006, at 19:29 , Reece Hart wrote:

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 04:54 +0500, Talha Khan wrote:
You can do this by using a script. I mean whenever you are creating a new version of the database. you can do that by running a script that creates a database  and then stores the name of that database in an environmental variable . Now you can run psql by connecting to a database through that variable.

I think I understand the gist of your proposal, but psql was just one client example. In principle, I'd want the same alias to be exposed to psql, perl DBI, odbc, jdbc, etc. I really think this should be done in the database itself to ensure consistency.

I partition production, testing, development areas by using schemas. Using ALTER SCHEMA X RENAME TO Y, it's trivial to shuffle around the names as you like.

Cheers,