Re: "Too far out of the mainstream" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 31, 2012, at 4:15 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unless things have changed, Andrew Sullivan in this message
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2002-09/msg00012.php
> says:
>
> "All interactions with the shared registry system, and any whois
> queries against whois.afilias.net, are served by a PostgreSQL
> database."

That's likely still the case, a decade later.

> So yeah of course direct service of dns lookup is done via bind
> servers operating off harvested data,

dot-org is actually powered by UltraDNS tech (since bought out by
Afilias) rather than bind. And that is directly SQL database backed,
though likely not the database we know and love.

So unless someone from Afilias pops up and tells us they're using
PG there too I'm a little cautious about mentioning PostgreSQL, .org
and DNS together.

> but whois comes right out of a
> pg database, and live updates go right into a pg database.

Yup.

Cheers,
  Steve