Re: [HACKERS] CLUSTER command progress monitor - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuro Yamada
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CLUSTER command progress monitor
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017/09/04 15:38, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Tatsuro Yamada
> <yamada.tatsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> Then I have questions.
>>
>>    * Should we have separate views for them?  Or should both be covered by the
>>      same view with some indication of which command (CLUSTER or VACUUM FULL)
>>      is actually running?
>
> Using the same view for both, and tell that this is rather VACUUM or
> CLUSTER in the view, would be better IMO. Coming up with a name more
> generic than pg_stat_progress_cluster may be better though if this
> speaks with VACUUM FULL as well, user-facing documentation does not
> say that VACUUM FULL is actually CLUSTER.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Agreed.
I'll add new column like a "command" to tell whether running CLUSTER or VACUUM.
And how about this new view name? - pg_stat_progress_reorg
Is it more general name than previous name if it covers both commands?

>> I'll add this patch to CF2017-09.
>> Any comments or suggestion are welcome.
>
> Nice to see that you are taking the time to implement patches for
> upstream, Yamada-san!

Same here. :)
I'd like to contribute creating feature that is for DBA and users.
Progress monitoring feature is important from my DBA experiences.
I'm happy if you lend your hand.

Thanks,
Tatsuro Yamada