Re: Timestamp/Interval proposals: Part 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Timestamp/Interval proposals: Part 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Yeah.  I'd love to have somebody explain this to me.  I noticed when
> zinc was mentioned, but I don't know *what* it is.  Care to send me a
> link?

I think http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm is the underlying timezone
database that Thomas is referring to.  I can't find anything named zinc
that seems relevant.

I'm not as excited about sticking the info into Postgres tables as
Thomas seems to be.  I think that's (a) unnecessary and (b) likely to
create severe startup problems, since the postmaster needs access to
timezone info to interpret the TZ environment variable, but it can't
read the database.  It seems to me that a precalculated timezone table
is plenty good enough.