Re: [PERFORM] Sun performance - Major discovery! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Sun performance - Major discovery!
Date
Re: [PERFORM] Sun performance - Major discovery!  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 14:31, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Well, this is really embarassing.  I can't imagine why we would not set
>> at least -O on all platforms.

I believe that autoconf will automatically select -O2 (when CFLAGS isn't
already set) *if* it's chosen gcc.  It won't select anything for vendor
ccs.

> Can we get these optimizations enabled in time for the next 7.4 beta?

I think it's too late in the beta cycle to add optimization flags except
for platforms we can get specific success results for.  (Solaris is
probably okay for instance.)  The risk of breaking things seems too
high.