Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Sigh ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Sigh ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> This fix is surely wrong for several reasons:
> . the configure changes only broke MSVC builds, not all Windows builds
> (see narwhal, for example), but this change applies to both.
> . fixing a change that adds a configure option by hardcoding it in
> pg_config.h.win32 is simply the wrong fix - the right fix is to add the
> equivalent logic to src/tools/Solution.pm.

Well, maybe the right answer is to take a step back and figure out what
pg_config.h.win32's excuse for living is at all.  I do not understand
our Windows configuration setup, and what I do understand is is that
it's a pile of horrid kluges that break anytime anyone looks at them
sideways.

I will be quite happy to never touch any Windows configuration stuff
again.  If you want me to, you had better redesign and/or document it
so that people other than you and Magnus have some idea of what connects
to what.