Re: [GENERAL] Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows, 9.5.5(EDB binary). - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nikolai Zhubr
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows, 9.5.5(EDB binary).
Date
List pgsql-general
05.02.2017 22:05, I wrote:
[...]
>> And yes, running Process Explorer gave some new and unexpected input.
>> During the period of this strange high load it claims 40% CPU is used by
>> interrupts (normally 0.01%) and 3% used by backend postgres.exe
>> (normally approx 0%). I'd guess this means some problem happening in the
>> OS (which hosts this postgres.exe), probably related to network
>> communication? (Because nothing else seems likely related to interrupts
>> in such scenario?)

Ok, I've got a working example as simple as the following:

do {
     for (i=0; i<40; i++) {
    Sleep(15);
    res = PQexec(conn, "SELECT localtimestamp ");
    if (PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_TUPLES_OK) return 1;
    PQclear(res);
     }
     fprintf(stdout, "*");
     Sleep(350);
} while(1);

Here, Sleep(15) and Sleep(350) are very important, removing or changing
them can cause the effect to disappear.
Looks like some timing-sensitive issue in windows TCP/IP implementation?
But then, how can it be that no-one have noticed it yet? Puzzling.

Thank you.

Regards,
Nikolai