Re: sepgsql seems rather thoroughly broken on Fedora 30 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: sepgsql seems rather thoroughly broken on Fedora 30
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mike Palmiotto <mike.palmiotto@crunchydata.com> writes:
> We probably need to polish this a bit more, but what do you think
> about something similar to the attached patches? They should hopefully
> reduce some of the complexity of running these regression tests.

I can confirm that the 0001 patch fixes things on my Fedora 30 box.
So that's good, though I don't know enough to evaluate it for style
or anything like that.

I don't think I like the 0002 patch very much, because of its putting
all the sudo actions into the script.  I'd rather not give a script
root permissions, thanks.  Maybe I'm in the minority on that.
Also, since the documentation explicitly says that the
/usr/share/selinux/devel/Makefile path is not to be relied on,
why would we hard-wire it into the script?

A bigger-picture issue is that right now, configuring a cluster for
sepgsql is a very manual process (cf. section F.35.2).  I think there's
some advantage in forcing the user to run through that before running
the regression test, namely that they'll get the bugs out of any
misunderstandings or needed local changes.  If we had that a bit more
automated then maybe having the test script do-it-for-you would be
sensible.  (IOW, the fact that the test process is more like "make
installcheck" than "make check" seems like a feature not a bug.)