Re: Tuning guidelines for server with 256GB of RAM and SSDs? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Tuning guidelines for server with 256GB of RAM and SSDs?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 06/07/16 07:17, Mkrtchyan, Tigran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We had a similar situation and the best performance was with 64MB
> background_bytes and 512 MB dirty_bytes.
>
> Tigran.
>
> On Jul 5, 2016 16:51, Kaixi Luo <kaixiluo@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>      Here are my server specs:
>
>      RAID1 - 2x480GB Samsung SSD with power loss protection (will be used to
>      store the PostgreSQL database)
>      RAID1 - 2x240GB Crucial SSD with power loss protection. (will be used to
>      store PostgreSQL transactions logs)

Can you tell the exact model numbers for the Samsung and Crucial SSD's?
It typically matters! E.g I have some Crucial M550 that have capacitors
and (originally) claimed to be power off safe, but with testing have
been shown to be not really power off safe at all. I'd be dubious about
Samsungs too.

The Intel Datacenter range (S3700 and similar) are known to have power
off safety that does work.

regards

Mark