Re: MySQL/InnoDB benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: MySQL/InnoDB benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Now, the InnoDB guys have done some benchmarks:

If I did some benchmarks comparing Postgres and MySQL, and they came out
in favor of PG, I'm sure the MySQL guys would cry foul --- and with good
reason, seeing that I have no clue how to configure MySQL optimally.
But we are supposed to consider their tests to be unbiased?  Get real.

What really needs to be done here is a set of tests designed and
conducted by an *impartial* third party, with advice from experts in
each camp on how to properly configure their own DB.  I haven't seen
any prospects for such a thing to happen, though.  In the meantime,
I put no credence in MySQL-sponsored benchmarks, and I see no reason
for us to spend time generating our own equally-not-unbiased responses.

Let's get on with our development work rather than worrying about FUD.