Re: status/timeline of pglogical? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: status/timeline of pglogical?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 13/05/16 18:48, Martín Marqués wrote:
> El 12/05/16 a las 12:26, Magnus Hagander escribió:
>
>> Can it be made to work? Sure. But I definitely agree with Robert that we
>> need "real" in place upgrades at some point.
>
> It would be a neat feature. The question is if there will be such a
> solution and if it will be or not reliable.

FWIW I agreed with Robert that we need this also. The question is when
that will be available (pglogical, londiste and slony are available
now). I remember several discussions about this over the years and we
still haven't even started on this so I am not going to hold my breath
for it. Of course part of the reason why we didn't is that there are
logical replication solutions available and pg_upgrade helps quite a bit
to alleviate the upgrade pain as well.

And honestly even if we had true inplace upgrades I would still prefer
upgrade via logical replication for important systems just because it's
easier to test it in production while everything is still running, to
migrate gradually and also to revert the upgrade back to the original
server if something goes wrong (because I needed to do all that in
practice before).