Re: pg14 psql broke \d datname.nspname.relname - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg14 psql broke \d datname.nspname.relname
Date
Re: pg14 psql broke \d datname.nspname.relname  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:33 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
>> Being lenient here just doesn't have much downside in practice, as
>> evidenced by the total lack of complaints about that lenience.

> I find it kind of surprising to find everyone agreeing with this
> argument.

If the behavior v14 had implemented were "throw an error if the
first word doesn't match the current database name", perhaps nobody
would have questioned it.  But that's not what we have.  It's fairly
clear that neither you nor Mark thought very much about this case,
let alone tested it.  Given that, I am not very pleased that you
are retroactively trying to justify breaking it by claiming that
it was already broken.  It's been that way since 7.3 implemented
schemas, more or less, and nobody's complained about it.  Therefore
I see little argument for changing that behavior.  Changing it in
an already-released branch is especially suspect.