Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/05/2016 15:55, Szymon Lipiński wrote:

at my previous jobs I was working with many programmers, and almost none of them understood SQL. The problem was even deeper. They didn't want to learn it. When I was working among java programmers, I noticed that they hated SQL, but there was no problem with learning HQL, which in fact is quite similar. I really have no idea why it is like that.

Similar here. IMHO it is called "job trends hype". Look at all the linkedin ads, less than 1% is about Pgsql/DBs, 99% is about app coders. Ok rough numbers, but it reflects reality. One of my past programmers (a fine kid always looking to learn) now writes IOS and Android apps in another country. Another one who didn't do much well with SQL, but rock-star programmer otherwise, now writes javascript in another company.

--

    regards Szymon Lipiński

--
Achilleas Mantzios