Re: Top features in 9.6? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: Top features in 9.6?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 2016-04-11 3:09 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 11 April 2016 at 23:02, Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>     So, let's make a list.
>
>     Mine:
>
>     * parallel query (seqscan & aggregation)
>     * bloom filter supporting indexes
>
>     The generic progress reporting framework is tempting, but seems hard to
>     explain as a marquee feature.  What else have we got?
>
> Could I suggest we do the DRAFT release notes now, then discuss what gets
> highlighted?
>
> If the RMT's schedule is good, we have about 1 month to prepare it.

If we're doing this now, along with seemingly the 9.6 feature freeze having
occurred, does that mean there is an effort to move the Postgres major release
dates back to September or so?  September-ish was held consistently for 9.0-9.3,
with 9.4 only going to December due to having to re-work jsonb.  Or is there a
stronger precedent for time between releases, eg aiming for a 9.6 next December
or January since that's after a year passed?  I think aiming for September again
would be preferable, especially with a feature cutoff around now. -- Darren Duncan