Re: 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 04/11/2016 11:18 AM, Josh berkus wrote:

>>> Correct, they are used internally only.
>>>

>> Right and I am not suggesting that we migrate to a policy where we
>> reference only (or even primarily) the "cute name".
>
> So you're thinking just a release name until the number is assigned?
> Would that benefit anything?

I think there is something to be said for standing in front of a bunch
of non database people (say... newbie rails developers) and saying:

PostgreSQL is about to release 10.0, otherwise known as Buffalo stampede.

People will go, "what?"... then we talk about it and actually talk about
why we chose the name Buffalo stampede (note: that name literally just
spilled itself on to the screen, I haven't actually thought we would use
it).

Further, when we release 10.0, we tie into the name with further
branding and advocacy tie-ins. Maybe it is a picture of an elephant
conducting a orchestra of buffalo (parallel query), who knows.

Obviously I (or any other speaker) could just do that as part of their
talk and we would have 100s of names running around. Whereas if there is
a tie in to a purpose a way to get more people to think about the
project and software, that is a good thing.

And if we take that an tie it into things like an interview from Dzone
and say, "Magnus, second question (because the first is always, who are
you)" is: "So why Buffalo Stampede for 10.0?" and Magnus gets to go into
who parallel query represents a "stampede" of new performance
capabilities for PostgreSQL. That is a carrot to read the article and it
attracts better than, "PostgreSQL releases 10.0 with more performance
improvements!".

Sincerely,

JD

P.S. Please keep in mind that all of this is literally just off the top
of my head and I am not suggesting that we just run with it. I am just
spilling coffee on the keyboard of ideas.

                         +1-503-667-4564