Re: Transitioning to a SQL db - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Transitioning to a SQL db
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/08/2016 08:04 AM, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> As arranged I am cc-ing the pgsql-general list in the hope
> they will assist.  Your posts to the list may be delayed for
> moderation, I can't say.
>
> It could be helpful if you subscribed to the list, but it
> is relatively high traffic and I know you have extremely limited
> and expensive bandwidth.  For this reason I'm not sure I can
> recommend subscribing.
>
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 12:22:26 +0200
> Tim Vink <timvink@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Many thanks for your kind offer to give us some advice. I am Tim Vink,
>> Research Techician at the Kalahari Research Trust and currently
>> Database and Networks manager of the project. Our Project leaders,
>> Chris and Laura at the Meerkat project mainly involved with the main
>> Meerkat database that is currently in access, where Chris is helping
>> me develop the additional databases (that are currently loose db
>> and/or files (read up to 80000 csv or mapsource files) and make a
>> coherent structure for these.

I can figure out some of what you want from Karl's answer to your
original post. Still it would be nice to have some sort of outline form of:

1) How does data currently gets into your system?

2) What do you do with the data?

3) What are your hardware resources?

4) Who needs to access the data and how and when?

5) What software languages are your developers comfortable with?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com