Re: 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 04/05/2016 06:42 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2016-04-05 6:21 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> There will be a compatibility break, it will have to happen. That
>> said, there
>> are ways to mitigate a good portion of the concerns.
>>
>> 1. Make sure the release before the compatibility break is supported
>> for longer
>> than usual (say 7 instead of 5 years)
>>
>> 2. Announce the compatibility break AT LEAST 2 versions before it happens
>>
>> 3. Make sure we have some kind of utility that can deal with it, this
>> might be
>> something that rewrites the pages or perhaps we rely on logical
>> replication?
>
> I think you should explain better what you mean by point 2.

I was thinking that if we have a set of planned changes that we know are
going to break compatibility, we announce that the changes will be
coming in Z, which should be after X and Y releases.

This allows production users (especially those that run for a minimum of
5 years on a release) to plan for the eventual pain.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564