Re: Big number of connections - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Big number of connections
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 4/1/16 2:54 AM, jarek wrote:
> I'll be happy to hear form users of big PostgreSQL installations, how
> many users do you have and what kind of problems we may expect.
> Is there any risk, that huge number of roles will slowdown overall
> performance ?

The red flag from your original email was concern over each connection
consuming 1MB of memory. If you're so tight on memory that you can't
afford 4GB of backend-local data, then I don't think you'll be happy
with any method of trying to handle 4000 concurrent connections.

Assuming you're on decent sized hardware though, 3000-4000 open
connections shouldn't be much of an issue *as long as very few are
active at once*. If you get into a situation where there's a surge of
activity and you suddenly have 2x more active connections than cores,
you won't be happy. I've seen that push servers into a state where the
only way to recover was to disconnect everyone.