Re: 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 03/22/2016 10:52 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> It's important to remember that PR strategy and engineering truth have
>> only a passing acquaintance.  While we don't want to promote vaporware,
>> we do sometimes soft-pedal our own features to our project's detriment.
>> In the current atomosphere of VC-funded hype, we'd do a bit better to
>> trumpet our accomplishements early and often.
>
> I see what you mean.
>
> The question must be asked: What feature *would* meet that "major
> version bump" standard? If it's not extensive parallelism, then I
> don't know what else it could be.

BDR or PgLogical or Native Partitioning or Federation/Sharding.

The parallelism is AWESOME!

It is also something that I think a lot of users do not consider a major
feature as much as a major, "it is about time" (although partitioning
probably falls in that too).

That is not to take away from Robert's work which is AWESOME.

Yes I can say AWESOME a lot.

It is just that the feature, is essentially, "We are faster, yet again".

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564