Re: Ubuntu and Rails postgresql setup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Ubuntu and Rails postgresql setup
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2/24/2016 1:34 AM, Marco Lobbia wrote:
> Once support for 14.04 LTS will be terminated in 2019, there will not
> be any more support for PostgreSQL too. At that time I suppose I and
> other Ubuntu users will be left with the only choice to install from
> scratch another version of Ubuntu and related software, included
> PostgreSQL.

by 2019, I would expect the server deployed today to be pretty obsolete.

its pretty easy now to use streaming replication to create a live copy
of your database then promote and cut over to it with almost no downtime.

or, simply do an in place upgrade of your operating system, as long as
you use the same major version of postgres, you can run with the same
data directory.    you can upgrade postgres to a new major version via
pg_upgrade...