PostgreSQL Database Administrator - Brighton - Mailing list pgsql-jobs

From Federico Campoli
Subject PostgreSQL Database Administrator - Brighton
Date
List pgsql-jobs
Data is the lifeblood of Brandwatch and our Database Administrators are
heros. They’ve managed to stretch PostgreSQL beyond normal limits of
scale and make its performance sing. We currently manage in excess of
50TB of metadata across 30 shards.

There are many complex and unique problems to overcome and you’ll be
responsible for keeping our data safe and available at all times. As a
Software-as-a-Service company, low latency responses to queries are
paramount to our customer experience.

You’ll get stuck in to maintain impeccable uptime and advise us of how
to push the boundaries of PostgreSQL even further. You must be familiar
with operating large databases with many connections, shards and rows
and be comfortable with techniques for high availability and disaster
recovery in this sort of environment.

You’ll be helping us build the best social data analytics platform on
the planet, so someone who relishes a challenge is a must.

Your role will include:

     Actively identifying and predicting scalability and performance
issues, and suggesting plans to addressing them
     Work with others to maintain and develop the database schema
     Collaborating with our developers to optimise existing queries and
enhance new application designs
     Proactively monitoring all aspects of the infrastructure and
database health to maintain uptime and performance, including, where
necessary, the development of new tooling
     Maintain a constant capability for disaster recovery and data
restore with regular testing
     Tracking new developments in the PostgreSQL ecosystem and driving
advances in our infrastructure

You should have:

     Strong commercial experience as a Database Administrator. Prior
experience of PostgreSQL is essential
     Prior knowledge of SQL and the procedural languages (PL/pgSQL and
PL/SQL)
     Knowledge of query tuning, both as a general methodology and
ideally with regards to PostgreSQL running on modern Linux systems
     Attention to detail and an analytic approach to your work

It would be great if you also have:

     A strong understanding of PostgreSQL replication methods and fault
resolution
     Experience of PostgreSQL in a multi-terabyte data set environment
     Experience as Java, C, Python or Javascript (node.js) developer
     Experience in utilising Hadoop, HBase, Solr and/or Kafka
     A general understanding of other data storage (eg. NoSQL) or search
technologies

What we offer;

Benefits: We offer a range of benefits including; bike to work scheme,
pension contribution, childcare vouchers and discounted gym memberships.

Culture: Brandwatch is a place where the lines between work and fun are
blurred. As a growing international company, with 6 offices across the
globe, communication is key to ensure everyone’s voices are heard, and
helps us maintain our flat structure. We listen and learn. We develop
our staff. We care about everything, and above all we support each other.

Working for Brandwatch: Brandwatch Brighton is where it all began. We
can be found in the vibrant North Laines in our brand new refurbished
offices. Whilst we don’t believe in stereotypes, we do host yoga classes
and Juice Mondays. We have cupboards bursting with snacks, a well
stocked drinks fridge, sushi lunches, flexible working spaces and if
you’re lucky we’ll even treat you to an ice-cream on the beach and you
can enjoy one of our weekly massages right from the office.

Please apply here http://app.jobvite.com/m?3mCLOhwj

--
Federico Campoli
Brandwatch | Lead Database Administrator

New York  | San Francisco |  *Brighton*  |  Berlin  |  Stuttgart