Re: Cannot start the PostgreSQL service - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igal @ Lucee.org
Subject Re: Cannot start the PostgreSQL service
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/30/2016 12:10 PM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:

Did you check the Windows Event Viewer?  When a service fails to start you should see the details there in the Application log errors.
Sorry, I just realized that you had this:

2016-01-25 18:45:19 GMTFATAL:  the database system is starting up
2016-01-27 01:09:47 GMTFATAL:  role "SYSTEM" does not exist
pg_ctl: PID file "C:/Program Files
(x86)/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/postmaster.pid" does not exist

So you are using PostgreSQL 8.4?  Not sure why you would do that on a development machine (assuming that you're not running production servers on Windows 7 Home)

Looks to me like the issue is that the service is running under the Local System account, which is not recognized by PostgreSQL, and that's why the log shows [role "SYSTEM" does not exist].  If you have installed using the installer then you should probably have a "postgres" account on the machine?  If so, set the service to Log On as that account.