Re: Cannot start the PostgreSQL service - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Cannot start the PostgreSQL service
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/30/2016 08:24 AM, David Unsworth wrote:
> Hello.  Sorry if I have sent this to too may mail boxes.  I hope one of
> them is correct.  Please forward this on if not.

For future reference, sending to --general would be sufficient.

> This was working until recently.  In Services I right clicked on
> properties and I think I changed the METHOD in pg_hba.conf from md5 to
> trust.
> I think after making this change the problems started.
>
> In Services I cannot start the PostgreSQL Server 8.4 due to Error:1069
> The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Assuming this is a Windows machine, what version of the OS?

How did you install Postgres on this machine?

What user are you starting the service as?

What if anything happened/changed between the time it was working and
the time it stopped working?

What is in the Postgres log prior to it shutting down?

What is in the system(Windows) logs when you try to start the service?

> I have tried to set up pg_hba.conf correctly.  Currently it is set to
> the following -
>
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
> # IPv4 local connections:
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
> host    all         all         192.168.1.1/5432      trust
> # IPv6 local connections:
> host    all         all         ::1/128               trust
>
> I have tried to set up pgpass.conf correctly as this was empty.
> Currently set to the following -
>
> 127.0.0.1:5432:*:postgres:dbpass
>
> The errors remain.  Also I have been getting the error "could not
> connect to Server: Connection refused" detailed below -
>
> http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.14/connect-error.html
>
> I wanted to reload the configuration (before attempting to start the
> Service again ) and I got the error "Reload command returned an error (1)".
>
> I am not sure what to try next.  I have some databases I do not want to
> lose if I can avoid it.

I doubt you have lost the databases or will lose the databases. You are
just not able to start the server.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com