Re: pglogical - logical replication contrib module - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: pglogical - logical replication contrib module
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/31/2015 03:34 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to submit the replication solution which is based on the
> pglogical_output [1] module (which is obviously needed for this to
> compile).

This is fantastic! However, history presents itself here and PostgreSQL
in the past has not "blessed" a single solution for Replication.
Obviously that changed a bit with streaming replication but this is a
bit different than that. As I understand it, PgLogical is Logical
Replication (similar to Slony and Londiste). I wouldn't be surprised
(although I don't know) if Slony were to start using some of the
pglogical_output module features in the future.

If we were to accept PgLogical into core, it will become the default
blessed solution for PostgreSQL. While that is great in some ways  it is
a different direction than the project has taken in the past. Is this
what we want to do?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--