Re: Missing userland binaries for PostGIS 2.1 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: Missing userland binaries for PostGIS 2.1
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Mike,

On 01/25/2016 09:39 PM, Mike Dillon wrote:
> Right now, the EOL listing
> <http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/> on Postgresql.org lists
> version 9.1 through 9.5 as supported. As such the "postgres" image in
> the Docker Hub Official Images program also supports those versions.
>
> Given that PostGIS 2.2 is only available for 9.4 or 9.5

pgapt should currently offer postgis-2.2 for Postgres 9.1 to 9.5

> from what I can
> tell, the only option for those who want to use PostGIS with older
> versions of Postgres is for them to install PostGIS 2.1. Because there
> is not a 2.1 version of the "postgis" Debian package in pgapt, it's not
> possible to install userland binaries for those releases.

That's correct, but applies only for 9.0, I think.

Again, I suspect the binaries are less of a problem, as those should be
backwards compatible. The missing scripts package is more severe, in
this case. Plus the lack of security upgrades for older postgis versions.

> The reason I can't just upgrade to 2.2 is that I have docker-postgis
> images for the older supported versions of Postgres that don't support
> PostGIS 2.2 (i.e. 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3). So if a security update comes
> through for one of those Postgres releases that cause the "postgres"
> image on Docker Hub to be rebuilt, I'll no longer be able to install a
> compatible version of PostGIS on top of them (unless I just install the
> extension and omit the userland binaries).

Yes, those are separate packages. Just install
postgresql-X.Y-postgis-2.1, and there it is.

>     If you separate code and data containers, as is common in the Docker
>     world, it might be sensible to provide postgresql-X.Y-postgis-2.1 and
>     postgresql-X.Y-postgis-2.2 in the code container. That way, users can
>     upgrade their code container(s) and run it against their data - no
>     matter which version of the extension their data container is
>     referring to.
>

> This is in fact what my image does. However, if I have to rebuild the
> Postgres 9.3 + PostGIS 2.1 image for any reason, that's no longer
> possible unless I omit the userland binaries from the "postgis" package.

Sure, just install the postgresql-X.Y-postgis-scripts and all
postgresql-X.Y-postgis-M.N packages available. That should cover most
use cases, I think. Including security fixes in PostgreSQL. Just don't
think of it as a "Postgres 9.4 + PostGIS 2.1", but just a "Postgres 9.3
+ PostGIS" image.

Regards

Markus Wanner