Re: Let's Do the CoC Right - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Let's Do the CoC Right
Date
Re: Let's Do the CoC Right  (Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>)
Re: Let's Do the CoC Right  (Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
On 01/23/2016 01:59 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> We all need the necessary protection, which is not necessarily equal
> protection, because some of us are subjected to much more harassment.
> And I think we all need to walk a mile in other peoples shoes before
> assuming others need only the meager amount of protection we need.

Everyone needs protection in some form or another.

The point, is that everyone deserves a fair shake and equal shake. There
is no arguing that except to make a argument on false pretence.

If a woman is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k.
If a man is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k.
If a transgender is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k.
If a homosexual is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k.

I have been accused of being a fat hater. My crime? I suggested that
generally speaking, obesity is a matter of diet and exercise. Worse? The
individual started the conversation and I am also classified as obese
(barely, I won't be in a month).

I have been accused of being sexist because I asked if there was chalk
(for bouldering) that was better for women because their skin is
generally softer and the chalk wasn't staying on the respective persons
hand. A scientific sexist fact.

I have been accused of being sexist because I said it wasn't sexist that
Samsung doesn't make full feature/performance phones that are smaller
for a woman's hands.

The tl;dr; here is:

If a "human" is being harassed in this community, it is not o.k..
If a human is not being respected in this community, it is not o.k..

Anything that tries to create an unbalanced protected class is a
non-starter.

Sincerely,

JD

                      +1-503-667-4564