Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/20/16 11:40 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Yeah.  It's certainly unfair if someone's patch doesn't get reviewed,
> but there are only 24 hours in a day, and we have a limited pool of
> reviewer and committer manpower.  I think we just have to say that
> sometimes life is unfair.

I think that's a great way to ensure we shrink the pool of reviewers
when someone works on a patch and then it goes nowhere. I find it rather
difficult to get feedback on ideas before I spend the time to code
something, it's got to be even worse for someone the community doesn't
know. So if we're going to do this, I think there must be a mechanism
for a patch idea/design to be approved.

I think we also need to be careful about -hackers being the only place
feature desirability is measured. There's an entire world of users out
there that aren't even on -general. If some feature doesn't really
interest -hackers but there's 50 users that want it and someone willing
to work on it, ISTM we should make efforts to get it committed.