Re: long transfer time for binary data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johannes
Subject Re: long transfer time for binary data
Date
Re: long transfer time for binary data  ("Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org>)
List pgsql-general
Here are some transferring measurements (from server to client) with the
same file.

scp
+ssl -compression 1.3 sec
+ssl +compression 4.6 sec

pgadmin
select lo_get(12345);
-ssl              3.4 sec
+ssl +compression 5.5 sec
+ssl -compression 4.5 sec

psql
select lo_get(12345);
+ssl -compression 6.0 sec
-ssl              4.4 sec

java/jdbc
only while(in.read(buf,0,len))
+ssl -compression 6.0 sec
-ssl              3.0 sec (+ 1.8 sec for new Image())

Here is a link for insecure ssl compression:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TLS_implementations#Compression

Best Regargs
Johannes

Am 21.01.2016 um 03:33 schrieb Andy Colson:
> On 01/20/2016 03:29 PM, Johannes wrote:
>> I noticed transferring a large object or bytea data between client and
>> server takes a long time.
>> For example: An image with a real size of 11 MB could be read on server
>> side (explain analyze) in 81ms. Fine.
>>
>> But on client side the result was completed after 6.7 seconds without
>> ssl compression and 4.5 seconds with ssl compression (both via 100MBit
>> ethernet).
>>
>> SSL compression seems to be not a good idea anymore, since this had
>> become a security risk. Its still possible with pgadmin, but afaik not
>> with java/jdbc .
>>
>> Are there any other solutions available to display my images in my
>> client application more quickly? Or are there planned improvements to
>> postgresql (transferring the real binary data)?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Johannes
>>

> Yep, that's slow.  The ssl compression is very odd if the image is
> jpeg'ish and already compressed.  If its a bitmap or uncompressed tif
> then its not so surprising.
>
> A few tests you could try:
>
> 1) copy the same 11 meg file from server to client via regular file copy
> and time it.  At 100 Mbit/s it should take about a second.  If it takes
> 6 you have network problems, not PG problems.
>
> 2) try it via psql command line (or at least something other than java),
> to see if its java thats the problem.
>
> 3) watch wireshark/tcpdump, maybe you'll see something glaring that'll
> point you in the right direction.
>
> -Andy
>
> PS: I've never heard that ssl compression was a security risk, got
> links/proof?

Attachment