Re: 9.5 Release press coverage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 01/13/2016 10:08 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> To be honest, I'm not sure the disparity in name recognition is
> anywhere near as large as you seem to be portraying here.  I think
> most people who care about PostgreSQL to any degree know that there
> are many PostgreSQL companies and who some of the leading ones are.
> It is possible that a press release from EnterpriseDB might cause
> somebody who doesn't yet know anything about PostgreSQL to learn about
> EnterpriseDB before they learn about other companies, but if that
> press release is written in an inappropriately self-aggrandizing
> fashion, once they do start to learn how it works, that's actually
> going to work against EDB, not for it.  Tomas said more or less the
> same thing upthread and I think he's right: grandstanding is not a
> benefit to EnterpriseDB, or really anyone, anywhere, ever.  So I
> *don't* think that our press release is inappropriately claiming
> credit for anybody else's work, but if it is, then I think that's
> first of all wrong but also secondly bad marketing that will come back
> to bite us.

As the person who opened this can of worms by making mention of the
article in question, I have the following to say. Enough already! Almost
immediately after my post Dave Page posted saying a correction was on
the way, which indeed happened. The post to --announce was admitted to
as a joint error by all concerned. Mea Culpa's have been issued
copiously. I would say all concerned have gotten the message that
mistakes happen, next time we try better. Parsing intent especially at a
distance and via electronic media is an exercise in futility. Personally
I think the needs of the community are best served by moving on. Lets
just get people using Postgres.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com