Re: 9.5 Release press coverage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 01/13/2016 06:25 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

Well, so much for letting this thread die. Let's rock.

>> The first sentence says that EDB is announcing the PostgreSQL 9.5 release,
>> which it has no right to do.
>>
>> Presumably if 2ndQuadrant makes press announcements about the next version
>> of PPAS, offering people to contact 2ndQuadrant for more information, I
>> would expect to receive a strongly worded letter. The objection probably
>> wouldn't focus on which verbs were acceptable, it would be an objection
>> based upon improper use of a trademark, which is exactly what is happening
>> here.
>
> As far as I know, and IANAL, everything you just said is wrong.

The trademark holder can state how and when one can use the Trademark.
Simon is wrong in that the PGDG trademark specifically states that the
EDB use is acceptable:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy

>>> If EnterpriseDB is making false statements, then it is
>>> entirely right for people to be upset about that, but our press
>>> release does not do that.  I have read that press release several

This is a subtle problem. EDBs marketing people are smart.

"EnterpriseDB® (EDB™), the leading enterprise Postgres database company,
today announced the general availability of PostgreSQL 9.5, released by
the Postgres community."

It isn't false but it isn't sincere and I think that is where the issue
is coming from.

>> Everything is implied, but overall it is very clearly misleading people to
>> think that the PostgreSQL brand is controlled by EDB.
>>
>> I oppose that viewpoint, from any company that tries to suggest it.

Robert, it isn't just companies. There is a pretty good general view
amongst the wider population that EDB == Postgres. I have even had
people ask if "I" work for EDB. I stained a perfectly good shirt with
coffee when asked that. From a marketing perspective I applaud the
expertise. From an integrity standpoint, EDB shakes on a thin stick when
it comes to this stuff.

> I think every single PostgreSQL company tries to suggest that it is
> the best PostgreSQL company with whom to do business.  I would expect
> nothing else.

I don't think anybody argues that.

Sincerely,

JD