Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/05/2016 05:31 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:

> Well, that highlights that it's not just about a CoC, it's the things
> that surround it. Especially what the conflict resolution policy is.
>
> I suspect JD thought about this because of a recent Facebook thread[1]
> about how the FreeBSD community just screwed this up big-time[2]. The
> big screw-up was not having solid ways to deal with such complaints in
> place. Sadly, as part of that thread, it comes to light that there is
> some history of this in the Postgres project as well.

The Facebook post was the secondary catalyst. The primary one was
discussions I have had on twitter about CoCs as well as continual work
with various conferences.

> What I'd love to see is support and commitment from the Postgres
> community to actively attract people who will focus not on the code but
> on building the community itself. I know there are people in the
> community that would be interested in doing that, but without active
> support and some encouragement things aren't going to change.

Since the first PostgreSQL Conference East in Maryland, I have requested
this. A good portion of the keynote was about this. For some reason our
community doesn't show a lot of interest.

Sincerely,

JD