Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!  (Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/5/16 6:53 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> So I was on #postgresql today. I convinced a newer user that they could
>> easily contribute to PostgreSQL even if it was just doc patches. I described
>> the basic workflow and the individual was excited.
>>
>> His first question?
>>
>> linuxhiker: oooo git interface! Bug tracker for this anywhere?
>
> Potential answer: Yes. As of now, pgsql-docs for doc issues, and
> pgsql-bugs for actual bugs :)

Which doesn't help anyone, because neither of those provide a list of
"hey, here's stuff you could do to contribute". The closest we come to
that is the TODO, which isn't well known and has almost no items for
newbies (and the newbie items that are there don't offer much advice).

The reason I this matters is because yesterday I posted a task for a new
hacker with simple guidelines and 24 hours later it was completed[1].
That tells me there's people that would love to contribute but don't
know how or what to contribute.

I realize a tracker *by itself* won't solve that, but it is the first
place anyone that wants to contribute code is likely to look. So having
one makes it more likely that new people will contribute.

On a related note, anyone interested in growing the community should
take a look at [2]. tl;dr: best way to grow the community is to attract
some folks that will make growing it their priority.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/568ADA20.7090205@BlueTreble.com
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/568C6E6D.1040306@BlueTreble.com