Re: Transfer db from one port to another - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Transfer db from one port to another
Date
Re: Transfer db from one port to another  (Killian Driscoll <killiandriscoll@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 12/23/2015 12:12 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> I was half awake early this AM and perused my email, and noted a fubar
> in one of the command sets shown to you but too sleepy to try and reply
> at the time, and now this thread is WAY too silly long to find it again,
> but I think someone neglected to put the database name on a pg_restore
> command.     if you don't give pg_restore a dbname, it just spews the
> SQL out on the console, which is what it sounded like Killian may have
> described.
>

> yeah, this one from Adrian, at 7:02am PST (Z-0800) this morning....
>
>> Per previous posts you want, whenever possible, to us a newer version
>> of pg_dump to move a database from an older version(9.3) to a newer
>> one(9.4). Therefore you should do your dump and restore using the
>> pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe from the Bitanami bin directory. I
>> would cd to the above directory and do:
>>
>> pg_dump -V
>> pg_restore -V
>>
>> to make sure the programs are found and are the 9.4 versions.
>>
>> Then do:
>>
>> pg_dump -Fc -p 5432 -U postgres -f irll_project.out irll_project
>>
>> pg_restore -U postgres -p 5532 irll_project.out
>
> that last needs to have -d newdbname     where newdbname has already
> been created, for instance, by...

Aah, my mistake. Yes you need to specify the database to get the restore
to work properly. Also explains why there is nothing in the logs.

>      C:\Bitnami\wappstack-5.5.30-0\postgresql\bin\createdb -p 5532 -U
> postgres newdbname
>
> BEFORE you can restore to it....
>

> anyways, this thread has gone on WAY too long, Killian needs to learn
> the basics of command line operations on MS Windows, which admittedly
> are rather klunky, but are quite outside the charter of the
> pgsql-general email list.
>

> p.s.   please don't CC me answers, I get every email sent to the list,
> with the CC's I end up getting two of every one.\

FYI, you can go here:

and set eliminatecc to have the listserver do that for you.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com