Re: pgAdmin III - Crash on Startup - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Nikolai Zhubr
Subject Re: pgAdmin III - Crash on Startup
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hello,
16.12.2015 5:41, Peter Morrissey:
[...]
> We have tried restarting the server, uninstalling/reinstalling, have
> tried installing both 64 and 32 bit versions, and have tried versions
> 9.4.5 and 9.3.10 – all of which give the same result.
>
> Currently installed version is 9.4.5 64-bit.
>
> Any idea what may be causing this or how to fix it?

If the crash diagnostic handler is correct about wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll
(per your screenshot) then the issue is essentially not with postgresql
itself but rather with visualization library, wxwidgets. I'd suppose
there are 3 possibilities:

1. If the problem is in the library itself, the library probably has to
be fixed somehow;
2. If the problem is because of some erroneous/unclean usage of the
library from pgadmin, then it could (and should) be fixed in pgadmin.
3. Maybe something unusual is present in your system, that confuses
wxwidgets library so mush that it crashes; it might help if you find out
exactly how to trigger the crash (starting from some known clean
environment that a developer could reproduce at his place)

Also, you could try to additionally install pgadmin3-1.22-beta1 to check
if the problem is still present there.
(http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.22.0-beta1/)

Note: I'm not a pgadmin developer myself, but I'm using it heavily so
I'm interested in finding and fixing any bugs as much as possible.

HTH,
Regards,
Nikolai