Re: Generating an XSD file from an existing database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Generating an XSD file from an existing database
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/06/2015 01:59 PM, Blake McBride wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com
> <mailto:robjsargent@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>      > On Dec 6, 2015, at 2:30 PM, Blake McBride <blake1024@gmail.com
>     <mailto:blake1024@gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      > Greetings,
>      >
>      > I need an XML specification for my exiting schema - an XSD file.
>     Reading the docs I see schema_to_xml but I do not understand:
>      >
>      > A.  Will that produce the XSD file I seek?
>      >
>      > B.  I do not understand the documentation.  Can I do this through
>     psql?  I need an exact example if possible.
>      >
>      > Thank you.
>      >
>      > Blake McBride
>      >
>     Yes, those functions are available through psql
>     select schema_to_xml(<arglist>)
>     and
>     select schema_to_xmlschema(<arglist>) are what you’re after.
>
>     Redirect the output  of each into separate files.
>

> Thanks.  My problem is understanding the arguments.  I am hoping to get
> an exact example.
>
> Server:  localhost
> Database:  wmco
> Schema:  public
>
> Once I am in psql, exactly what do I type?  (I just don't understand the
> docs.)

<WARNING> Will produce a big file. On a relatively small database the
below created a 5.6 G file <WARNING>

\o schema_file.xml
select schema_to_xml('public', 't', 't', 'text');
\o

Explanation of above:
\o redirects further commands to the file specified.

Run xml function

\o resets output to stdout

If you want to use the table form, then:

\o cell_per.xml
select table_to_xml('cell_per'::regclass, 't',  't', 'text');
\o

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com