Re: Re: ERROR while creating new user - could not open relation mapping file global/pg_filenode.map - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Re: ERROR while creating new user - could not open relation mapping file global/pg_filenode.map
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 11/24/2015 02:42 PM, Sribeiro wrote:
> Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
>> I think we are going to have to back up here and get a description of
>> your install procedure.
>>
>> 1) What exactly did you try to install, Postgres version and package(s)?
>>     a) Source for packages?
>>
>> 2) What steps did you take during the install?
>>     a) Install packages?
>>     b) Create database cluster?
>>
>> 3) On your original install did you ever actually connect to Postgres?
>>
>> 4) How did you uninstall the original install?
>>
>> Adrian Klaver
>
>> adrian.klaver@
>

> First off thanks Gents.
>
> 1) I installed Postgres using Homebrew and the version is - postgres
> (PostgreSQL) 9.4.4
> Not sure what else gets installed with Postgres when installed with Brew
>
> 2) After installing postgres, i just followed the instructions prompted by
> brew/postgres in the terminal - I can't remember what they were, but I
> believe it was 3 steps (one was for Postgres auto start)
>
> 3) Not sure... I tried creating a user and password and that's when things
> started. I looked online on how to create a user and followed some
> suggestions, but to no avail, so I thought my installation was buggy, so I
> tried to start from scratch and that's at that point that I delete the
> folder "postgres" inside usr/local/var/
>
> 4) I uninstalled using brew and then deleted the above mentioned folder.
>
> I'm not trying to contradict what you guys are saying (you guys obviously
> know better than me), but in my mind it doesn't make sense why it can't be
> started from scratch if I did not have any users or databases. Again, I'm
> just trying to understand why this file is so needed/critical.

I do not use OS X so I am at a disadvantage here. I can you point you at
this:

http://www.russbrooks.com/2010/11/25/install-postgresql-9-on-os-x

Does it look like what you did?