Re: PUG Listing? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PUG Listing?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

WWW,

Since pugs.postgresql.org is long gone, I'd like to have a page on
www.postgresql.org which just lists the user groups like this:

region
country
area
PUG
web page
mailing list

e.g.:
Americas
USA
San Francisco
SFPUG
http://www.meetup.com/postgresql-1/
http://archives.postgresql.org/sfpug/

This seems like a good job for a basic Django app, editable through
Admin.  There's low churn on the data, so it shouldn't be much trouble
to maintain.  If people approve of
this idea, I'll start tinkering with it on a fork.

It would also be a reasonable thing for the wiki, EXCEPT that our wiki
pages have a Google search rank of approximately zero, so putting
anything like this on the wiki is a guarantee that nobody looking for it
will find it.

+1 for having this list on the site

If we go the website route, Selena and I had started code for the new site pugs site, perhaps some of this code could be reused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary

I'm not sure if this is possible with the wiki, but an alternative idea is we do use a wiki page, but have the output embedded onto the main postgres webiste.  Or possibly have a link off of the main postgres website e.g. http://www.postgressql.org/community/pugs that does a permanent redirect to the wiki.

Jonathan