Re: BUG #13763: Failed to re-install Posgresql 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: BUG #13763: Failed to re-install Posgresql 9.1
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 11/9/2015 2:25 PM, thanh.nguyen@altametrics.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      13763
> Logged by:          Thanh Nguyen
> Email address:thanh.nguyen@altametrics.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.19
> Operating system:   Windows 7 64
>
> I recently tried to re-install PosgreSQL 9.1 (64). However, the installer
> prompted me to enter the previous "Postgres" account password which I
> thought I did removed completely from my first install/uninstall. Question
> is how to retrieve or reset Postgres account password from previous install?
> I don't see any related Postgres instance in \Program Files\Postgres or
> \Program Data\Postgres or Registry or \AppData\Roaming

this isn't a bug, and would have been better directed at the
pgsql-general mailing list....

that said, you can go into the windows user manager, find the postgres
account, and reset its password to something arbitrary. use the Local
Users and Groups tool in Computer Management. control panel ->
administration tools -> computer management -> local users and groups ->
users...   right click on "postgres", Set Password...

or, you can delete the account, but if there are any postgres related
files left behind on the system, their ownership will be orphaned.