Re: Recursive Arrays 101 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Recursive Arrays 101
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/25/2015 06:10 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> @ Adrian Klaver: Oh, so you're suggesting I make separate tables for
> kingdoms, classes and on down to species. I'll research foreign keys and
> see what I can come up with. I hope I can make separate tables for
> mammal species, bird species, fish species, etc. There are just so many
> species - especially fish - the spreadsheets I use to organize them are
> just about maxed out as it is.

If you go here:

http://www.catalogueoflife.org/col/browse/classification?71dd35ed0e10acf939d0123cdbf9ce57

that is how you can drill down to a species in the CoL.

It just seems to follow what is already there. No doubt, there are a lot
of species. What is probably more important is that the relationships
have changed over time and can be expected to change more, as genetic
testing for the purpose of taxonomic classification becomes more prevalent.

> I've been using the Catalogue of Life as a guide, but I'm limited
> because I can never get their downloads to work. So all I can do is go
> to their website and copy a bunch of genera and species at a time.

Well I downloaded the 2015 snapshot and it turns out it is MySQL
specific. Recently upgraded this computer, will have to see if
MySQL/Mariadb survived the process before I can go any further. It would
be interesting to see how they tackled the relationships.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com