Re: bugs and bug tracking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Álvaro Hernández Tortosa
Subject Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 13/10/15 16:24, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2015-10-13 16:21:54 +0200, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:
>> On 13/10/15 04:40, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I'm with Robert on the idea that commit log entries need to be
>>> limited-width. I personally format them to 75 characters, so that
>>> git_changelog's output is less than 80 characters. regards, tom lane
>>      Little bit off-topic, but if precisely if we're trying to make the
>> commits/bug-tracking/whatever system more user-friendly also for non-hacker
>> users, I'd adhere to the 50/72 "standard" for commit messages, which seems
>> to be quite extended: http://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/#seven-rules
>>
>> (50 chars for the commit summary, 72 chars line wrapping)
> -1 - imo 50 chars too often makes the commit summary too unspecific,
> requiring to read much more.
>    I'm not strong advocate of 50 chars anyway, but if people are
getting used to this, and probably also tools, I'd try to stick to it.
And I believe you should be able to describe a commit in 50 chars. But
we shouldn't of course deviate and start yet another thread on this, so
it's all up to you :)
    Álvaro

--
Álvaro Hernández Tortosa