Re: bugs and bug tracking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/06/2015 11:51 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> [I have heated water with wood till boiling point, FWIW]

Hahahah I have no doubt.

>> It should be, "I once heated water with wood and it didn't boil. How can I
>> change my process so that it will?"
>
> Oh, I am not saying we shouldn't have a tracker ("change the process").
> I'm just saying that this particular argument for it is bogus.
>
>> Until hackers have that mindset about all this stuff (except hacking) we
>> will continue to hit walls we don't have to hit.
>
> I personally deal with bug reports almost every day and would love to
> see a change in this area.  I am not hopeful that unwashed masses will
> jump to assist me (us) in keeping the bug tracker clean and useful.

I don't think the unwashed masses will either but I bet we could get a
handful from -general and even a few that watch but don't participate on
this list.

Frankly, I bet the next time I speak I could get at least one volunteer
just by bringing it up (how do you think this whole bug tracker thing
started?).

JD

New rule for social situations: "If you think to yourself not even
JD would say this..." Stop and shut your mouth. It's going to be bad.